[hcs-d] Seat Computers at the Cool Table

Adam Gold agold at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 4 17:09:01 EST 2010

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for reading my article. It seems like you all got a lot
out of it.

I submitted a request to my editor for a correction on the HCS name and
the managed languages thing yesterday. Hopefully they'll get around to
it soon. My column usually runs on the other Friday, but due to a last
minute schedule change, they needed to run my evergreen piece that I
wrote sophomore year (gasp!) back when the world was young and CS51 used
to use Scheme. I tried to update what I could, but I didn't have enough
time to catch everything on such short notice.

My point about Windows/MacOS versus Unix was really more about
development tools. You can't make a Windows or an iPhone app using pure
C and gcc, which probably comes as a shock to most people who just come
out of CS50.

Just because MacOS uses a Unix kernel doesn't mean that if you already
know how to write a Linux app, you don't need to learn anything new
about making a Mac application in the real world. I didn't want to go
into too much detail because I'm writing for a general audience (i.e.
the Crimson readership).

For those of you wondering what the "next step was," I think I spelled
it out pretty clearly when I said that "More funding should be allocated
towards speakers, seminars and programs that educate Harvard students
about computers and reinforce the notion that it’s not geeky to
understand them." I know it was pretty close to the end of the article,
and the piece was a whopping 800 words, so I can see why some of you
maybe were too busy to read all the way to the end before forming an
opinion.

If anyone else is thinking of checking out MIT's 6.839 (Adv. Computer
Graphics), because Gortler's on leave this year, you should totally do
it! Given how little I know about computers, I'm sure I'll bring down
the curve for everyone on this list!

xoxo,
Adam