[hcs-d] pdftex vs. pdflatex?

Yakir Reshef yreshef at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:22:52 EST 2009

Hi HCS,

Does anyone know what the difference is between pdftex and pdflatex in
the texlive-full distribution for ubuntu hardy?  Here's what I know:
1.  They can't be identical because when I compile a certain latex
file with one I get a warning and the correctly compiled pdf file, and
when I use the other I get a bunch of errors.
2.  It is not the case that one is left over from a previous tex
distribution of mine, because I had neither before I ran "apt-get
install texlive-full" and now I have both.

Thanks!
Yakir