[hcs-d] hackathon at SIPB, this Saturday 1 PM - ???

Greg Price price at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 9 01:21:07 EST 2009

We'll be having a hackathon here at SIPB this Saturday, with an
eclectic and open set of projects in the spirit of IAP.  You're all
welcome to take the 1 bus fifteen minutes down to room 557 in MIT's
student center (*) and join us.  Starts at 1 PM, dinner included,
runs into the evening, come anytime.

Probably the most interesting projects for y'all will be

 - Invirt, beginning to play with installing it and committing the
   code changes that come up

 - Debian packaging and config packages, working through tabbott's
   excellent exercises with lots of people around to ask for help
   (even if you didn't come to the workshops.)

 - any other project to advance the state of computing

This would also be a good time to download the new alpha of Mailman 3:
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-announce/2009-January/000126.html
and start playing around with it.  Barry Warsaw is explicitly
interested in feedback or patches to make major changes, HCS has
long had ideas for how Mailman could be better, and several people
around SIPB are interested in how Mailman could be better for us.
You could probably have a good discussion about what you find.

And of course, half the benefit of the hackathon is in hacking next to
other people, bouncing ideas off them and hearing what they're doing.
(Or do I mean the free food?)

Greg

PS - Some of you know this and are subscribed, but HCS has a way for
  you to get this sort of announcement directly from SIPB: the Mailman
  list sipb-incoming at hcs is subscribed to SIPB's main semi-public
  mailing lists sipb-office at mit and sipb at mit.  Ask jkroll or gdasher
  about what it gets, as they've been on it a long time.

(*) http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=W20

----- Forwarded message from Greg Price <price at MIT.EDU> -----