[hcs-d] Infinite session keys for facebook apps?

Terry Ding tding at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 5 16:32:12 EST 2009

Hey all,

I'm trying to write a facebook app that sends its users a text
reminder whenever their facebook friends have upcoming birthdays. But
to do this the app needs to automatically check each user's account
for friends' birthdays every 24 hours without the users needing to
login. I've tried to do this both by storing infinite session keys for
users (as per http://www.henrycipolla.com/blog/2008/02/how-to-create-infinite-sessions-with-the-Facebook-platform-api/)
as well as granting offline access permissions, but neither seems to
be working.

A bunch of us working on facebook apps are all having the same problem
and are getting desperate... so does anyone know if there is a correct
way of doing this? We would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Terry