[hcs-d] Fwd: Automation Help

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 25 15:07:09 EDT 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Aneesh Kulkarni wrote:
> I'm not sure how to deal with the equivalent of a browser's "print"
> and "save as" pop-up dialogs, since those are browser-dependent and
> seem to require a GUI.  How do you automate that interaction?

Firefox uses platform-native (non-XUL) dialogs for printing. These are
a pain to control from extensions, which is why e.g. Chickenfoot
offers no way of doing so.

Your best bet would be to use tools like Chickenfoot to automate as
much of the process as you can, and then use separate tools for your
platform of choice that let you script keyboard events and mouse
clicks to get the browser to do what you want. If you were trying to
save a bunch of pages to disk, you might use Chickenfoot to open a new
tab for every page you want to save, then use an external automation
tool to have Firefox run a "save page, close tab" loop until there are
no more open tabs.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org