[hcs-d] Having Linux is now a CRIME

Randy Cole randyokc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:09:20 EDT 2009

Very interesting.  Looks like they got him cold on sending out the
alleged email prank.  But Harvey Silverglate says that isn't necessarily
a crime.  The thing referred two Mass laws he allegedly broke - did he
break those laws?

There is no evidence that he used his cell phone to hack computers.  And
the ipod should only have been included if the warrant included illegal
downloads.

Ubuntu isn't a common OS at BC?  I didn't realize the network recorded
what OS I was using.  I guess it is recording whatever the browser says
he is using?

Evil dual-booting with white-on-black text mode!!  Jailbreaking cell
phones (talk about a loaded phrase).  That's perfectly legal.

Redacted's computer doesn't work, and two experts can't tell why.  That
isn't evidence of hacking.

Why did he have an email address from a state of FL domain?

This reminds me of the time the police searched a programmer I know's
house and found "over 100 floppy disks".

It is a very interesting search warrant affidavit, I bet it took a long
time to create that document.  Thanks Brad/EFF for the info!

Randy