[hcs-d] Re: [HCS] Meeting/Office Hours Tonight, 7:30 - 10:00pm!

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 16 11:49:54 EDT 2009

Since office hours attendance has been somewhat sparse recently, I
thought I'd follow up here so people have some idea of what actually
happens at meetings, which in particular bore no resemblance to what
Keito wrote below:

-We argued a lot about how to buy hardware. Specifically, we want to
buy a big backup system now that we have a big fileserver. We have
money for this, so it's about figuring out what to buy. A plan for
exploring options was basically outlined last night. Also, we're
buying another server thanks to the UC, which gave us $2500 and a hard
time.
-We discussed services we might sell and why or why not to go down
such a route and for what sorts of customers.
-Six people from Microsoft came. We talked about Live services,
Application Virtualization, how to develop XBox games, and how .msi
packages work. We learned that the only developer who came with them
didn't know how to even unpack an .msi, which is unfortunate because
none of us did either. However, they're "all about interop" which,
according to a later discussion likely means "interop with other
Microsoft software, sometimes."
-We ate pizza. We did not eat panini.
-There was absolutely no evangelism of PHP. Not even PHP 5.3. There
was, however, a good amount of trashing of PHP. There was an attempt
at Ruby evangelism, but it was quashed in favor of evangelism of the
One True Scripting Language (c.f. earlier traffic on this list
regarding so-called "Ballistic Programming").
-Blogging sites, including LiveJournal, were not mentioned at all. Nor
were prefrosh.

In other news, if enough people are interested in developing games
through XNA, Microsoft might give us an XBox. Please contact me if you
might be interested in ths. I can apparently offer you XNA Creators
Club "Pro" memberships (or whatever they're called) for free.

Josh