[hcs-d] Proposed event

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 7 17:29:17 EDT 2009

Perspectives from the past:

Last year we did an event on internet governance with someone from
IETF and ARIN and nobody came. It was very sad.

This year, though, we had Nicco Mele who was a fellow at KSG and lots
of people came and it was a lot of fun.

We've also had Harry Lewis talking about technology policy issues and
again nobody came.

Also this fall, we had someone come from a private company (Elysium
Digital) to discuss the idea of circumvention as it's used in the DMCA
and how it has been interpreted by the courts. The talk was really
really good, although most of the people who came were from HLS.

One sensible place to look for good ideas and speakers is the Berkman
Center. They bring lots of interesting people to campus to talk about
technology and the law or technology and its social implications.
Whatever this event turns out to be, I imagine it will be very similar
to the stuff they do most of the time, so it would be nice to bring
them onboard.

Finally, note that Robert Darnton will be speaking with John Palfrey
and Professor Ann Blair about the history and future of books and
information dissemination on Wednesday 15 April at 4:30 in Adams
House. So that should be really really good. I'll send out an
announcement to either this list or hcs-announce.

The bottom line is that I like this idea too, but I'm already pretty
convinced that nobody will come.

Josh