[hcs-d] Google's April Fools prank...

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 1 10:11:31 EDT 2009

I for one found that essay hilarious. In particular, parts like

"Our species' journey toward tonight's epochal announcement had much
less to do with that awestruck moment than it did with the moment
those same ancestors woke up hungry the next morning and started
studying animal tracks in the savannah mud, thereby inadvertently
developing concepts like time and causality which, by abstracting both
location and temporal context into a unique reconning tool within the
brain, sparked the set of responses that, ages later, we now call
reason."

And

"Computing pioneers from the game theorist von Neumann to the
economist Morgenstern engaged in a tumultuous Hegelian rondolet in
which probability theory mated with utility theory to spawn decision
theory."

It also seems to be well-integrated with a series of small jokes
around various Google properties.

Josh