[hcs-d] Webmail

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 30 13:25:53 EDT 2008

I think I suggested that the equipment costs would be around $50,000,
not the total cost. Keep in mind that they already have mail admins on
their payroll, and they likely wouldn't need more of them in a new
system. I imagine, though, that the equipment cost is insignificant
against personnel and electricity costs. But that's OpEx, and they're
already paying a significant portion of it.

The argument that outsourcing is cheaper somehow says that Mail2World
can figure out a way to do the same thing with lower opex. I don't buy
that at the size of FAS IT. But maybe I'm missing some economies of
scale. I could maybe see them being a little cheaper. But I think
control is worth the admittedly-small premium.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Bruno Afonso <bafonso at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would have been happy with gmail outsourcing but unfortunately it
> has serious legal drawbacks.

Most of these apply to any outsourcing. Mail2World has just been more
accommodating, as I understand things, so that some of these issues
appear to go away. Under the threat of a subpoena, who knows what
would happen?