[hcs-d] Webmail

Keito Uchiyama keito at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 30 12:54:19 EDT 2008

That's unfortunate even MIT is moving to a hosted system.

The question, then, is whether the system the College is using is
actually going to be reliable. The company FAS-IT seems to have gone
for is Mail2World (http://www.mail2world.com/). Their website makes
some exciting claims (ooh, I can haz IMAP support for $20 a month?!),
but has anybody heard of them before?

After all, this is the company whose Wikipedia article ("Mail2world")
was deleted on the spot last November for being non-notable
advertising (the article itself was created by user "M2W", which, to
any Wikipedian, screams "self promotion!"). Sadly, the same account
recreated the article under a different name ("Mail2World") less than
a month later, and the article hasn't had any actual content edits by
anybody else since the original edit that created it.

I'm not saying Wikipedia should be an indicator of anything; but
frankly, I can't really entrust my own e-mail to an 8-year old
Internet company that hasn't managed to become notable enough for
anybody other than what appears to be its agents to edit its Wikipedia
article, let alone the mail for an entire college.

What do others think?

Keito U.