[hcs-d] Re: [HCS] HCS Office Hours Tonight!

Greg Price gprice at post.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 28 17:37:52 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Joshua Kroll <jkroll at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> -plan and prioritize projects for the new development cluster our
> office rack will become.

The Invirt software being developed at SIPB to manage a cluster of VM
hosts and let many people administer their own VMs is nearly ready for
use elsewhere; we're putting on the finishing touches before we move
to our own production cluster.  You should try it out.

(Josh is on our mailing list, so I think he's been getting the ongoing
torrent of commit mails that reflect this.)

The code is in Subversion at https://xvm-dev.mit.edu:1111/.  It's
probably not entirely self-explanatory at this point, so I'm happy to
answer questions, or perhaps they're best addressed to the project
mailing list invirt at mit.edu for everyone to see.  There will also be
some changes still required to make it work in your environment, but I
think they'll be much less work than we've already done to make it
portable, and we can help you make them.

Greg

PS - Despite all the mit.edu names, the objective is for this to
become an project in the open-source community not limited to the SIPB
office.  E.g., do a whois query on invirt.net (.org and .com were
taken.)  The code is already free software, under GPLv2+.