[hcs-d] Tomorrow at the IOP: THE POWER OF THE BLOG

Yonatan Kogan yjkogan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 13:52:43 EDT 2008

*Blogging of the Presidency:
*Journalism & New Media in Politics

With Special Guest
Jane Hamsher
 Founder of Firedoglake.com <http://firedoglake.com/>

Text NICCO to 41411 to get SMS alerts.

 Led by IOP Fall Fellow,
The man who pioneered Internet politics to singlehandedly build the Howard
Dean Fundraising Machine that shattered records and which is now the model
for nearly all online political campaigns.

*This week we'll be joined by Jane Hamsher, the founder of Firedoglake, one
of the most important progressive blogs, to talk about the relationship
between the traditional news media, the emerging new media, and
thepolitical campaigns.
** Does blogging drive mainstream media or does mainstream media drive
blogging?  The truth is more complicated and intricate. We will also ask
Jane about the state of the presidential race, the effectiveness of
bloggingfor state and local political campaigns, and
the future of journalism.*

WHEN: Monday, October 27th at 4:00 PM
WHERE: IOP First Floor Conference Room, L-166
WHAT: A discussion on the role of Journalism and New Media in Politics

For more information,visit webifypolitics.org. You can also subscribe
to themailing list by visiting our HCS site
(HERE) <http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/niccomele> or join our
Facebook group (HERE)<http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=

Jane Hamsher is the founder of firedoglake.com. Her work has also appeared
on the Huffington Post, Alternet and The American Prospect. She has appeared
on CNN, MSNBC and PBS and is the author of the best selling book Killer
Instinct. She has produced such films Natural Born Killers and Permanent
Midnight and currently lives in Washington, D.C.

Firedoglake (http://www.firedoglake.com), one of the leading progressive
blogs, is best known for its groundbreaking coverage of the ValeriePlame
case and liveblogging of the Scooter Libby trial. FDL features energetic
reporting on the leading issues of the day and features weekly Book Salons
with such authors as Keith Olberman, Bob Woodward, John Dean, Naomi Klein
and Paul Krugman. As the home of the Blue America PAC, FDL readers helped
raise  over a million dollars for progressive candidates and issues.