[hcs-d] Fwd: New Harvard ID Card Announcement

Keito Uchiyama keito at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 9 23:38:53 EDT 2008

I also read this e-mail with great interest. Personally, I'm wondering
what the second, thinner magnetic strip will do; if it's for future
use, why wouldn't said future uses use the IC card system also?
Presumably the second strip contains information not in the original
strip, but what information would it contain besides the HUID or other
unique identifier? (Or maybe it just means they'll phase out the older
strip in later iterations of the card, and the newer strip is more
secure.)

Keito U.

On Jul 10, 2008, at 12:29, Joshua Kroll wrote:

> This seems worth a discussion. Notably, I'm guessing these use some
> sort of pseudo-secret easy-to-cryptanalyze cipher like most cards of
> their ilk. Still, I suppose attacks aren't quite as point-and-click as
> we observed with the last design. Of course, if they're retaining the
> legacy magstripe then they're just carrying forward old risks.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Josh

-----
Keito Uchiyama