[hcs-d] Free Technical Books!

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 29 20:30:46 EST 2008

Well, almost. Here's the deal - HCS has re-registered as an O'Reilly
"user group." The upshot of this is that we can request books from
them if we write reviews of said books and post them on our website.
In the past, this has been a great way for us to build up our library.

"Wait - HCS has a library?" you ask? Yes we do! It's in the office and
you should check it out. I've been adding and removing things recently
- hopefully we can build it up so that it's really useful. Once you
attain the status of "member" (by coming to 2 meetings), you may check
out books under the stipulation that you return them in a reasonable
time frame.

"Why can't we just use the Harvard library?" Well, for starters they
don't have many recent books of the sort we'd be getting from O'Reilly
(on languages, pieces of software, etc.) so you're sort of stuck
requesting that they order them. Plus they fine you if you don't give
them their books back. And a lot of the really good stuff stays on
reserve most of the time.

Anyway, if you want to review a brand new O'Reilly (or subsidiary)
book, pick one out and contact me. I'll request the review copy and
make sure you get it when it arrives. Conditions are 1. you must write
a review (it need not be long - about 500 words (or one
response-paper-equivalent) is fine) and 2. you must give the book to
the HCS library for others to enjoy. I suppose if you start writing a
lot of reviews we can talk about giving you one out of every n books
for a to-be-determined (but probably small) n.

You can also write questions to oreilly at hcs.harvard.edu, which is set
up so that it will outlive anyone's graduation and always get to the
right person on the board.

We also get lots of discounts on books and conferences they sponsor -
you can feel free to contact me or go to their website if you're
interested in this.

Josh

>From their newsletter, these are the books currently available to review:
----
For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
<http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html>

*** Augmented Reality\240 (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN10: \2401934356034
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356036>

*** C# 3.0 Pocket Reference, Second Edition
ISBN10: \2400596519222
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519223>

*** CRAFT: Volume 06
ISBN10: \2400596518196
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518196>

*** Enterprise Application Development with Flex
ISBN10: \2400596514409\240
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514402>

*** Groovy Recipes (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN10: \2400978739299
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780978739294>

*** Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Second Edition (No Starch)
ISBN10: \2401593271441\240
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1593271441>

*** iPhone Open Application Development: Rough Cuts Version
ISBN10: \2400596519516
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519513>

*** The LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Zoo! (No Starch)
ISBN10: \2401593271700
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271701>

*** LINQ Pocket Reference
ISBN10: \2400596519249
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519247>

*** Rails for PHP Developers (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN10: \2401934356042
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356043>

*** ScreenOS Cookbook
ISBN10: \2400596510039\240
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510039>

*** Sound Mixing Tips and Tricks (PC Publishing)
ISBN10: \2401906005044

*** Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
ISBN10: \2400596516835\240
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516833>

*** Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition
ISBN10: \2400596514123\240
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514129>

*** Take Control of Your iPhone (TidBITS)
ISBN10: \2401933671343
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933671345>

*** The Ultimate CSS Reference (Hard Cover) (SitePoint)
ISBN10: \2400980285852
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780980285857>

*** Up and Running with Joomla
ISBN10: \2400596515847\240