[hcs-d] Technology in the News

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 28 21:42:02 EST 2008

Hey HCS,

Here's the story: I'm going to the Crimson on Sunday to talk about
"Technology in the News," or what reporters need to know to research
stories about technology effectively. This might be anything from whom
to ask for analysis  on a particular topic to how something like the
e-mail system (roughly) works and what its limits are. I'm trying to
figure out what I should say.

Naturally, whatever I say has to fit 2 conditions:
-It has to be understandable by a general audience (at the point where
it can be mangled into a newspaper article and still be correct)
-It has to be something that CAN actually go into a newspaper article
(i.e. not too technical or sensitive)

My question is this: what should I talk about? What's interesting?
What's going to be relevant to readers? What do Crimson reporters get
wrong now? How can we make reporting on technology better?

Topics might include:
-The wireless system or the campus network
-The e-mail system (and what's up with GMail)
-Machine room fires
-Security (or, "why GSAS got hacked, and why we should care")
-Privacy on the Internet (or, "why the Isis archives weren't")
-Facebook, MySpace, Google, Digg, and myWeb2.0Startup.com.net.us
-Intellectual Property, File Sharing, Lawsuits, and the like

Finally, if anyone would like to come with, I'm sure I can bring a few
people to help out (or just to watch), but probably not too many. If
the talk turns out well, we can do a slightly altered version for a
general audience. Just let me know, and I'll send you the details.

Discuss away,
Josh