[hcs-d] Clay Shirky at HLS Tomorrow (2/28) at 6PM - Berkman Center

Amar Ashar ashar at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 27 11:30:54 EST 2008

Dear Harvard Computer Clubbers,

Tomorrow, the Berkman Center is hosting Clay Shirky - internet luminary,
writer, and thinker - at 6PM on the campus of Harvard Law School for a
talk/discussion on his new book. We hope you can stop by for this very
special event, as he's one of our major speakers for the year, and he's
talking about some issues you may be interested in.

(And please feel free to forward this information to your friends and
other email lists!)

Thanks!
Amar

= = =

Clay Shirky on “Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without
Organizations”

* [TOMORROW] Thursday, February 28, 6:00 PM*
Austin West Classroom, Austin Hall
Harvard Law School (Map:
http://map.harvard.edu/level2.cfm?mapname=camb_allston&tile=F6&series=W)
No RSVP required - This Event is Free and Open to the Public
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu

“Here Comes Everybody” is about the social changes coming as a result of
the internet’s power to support group action. Sharing, conversation,
collaboration, collective action; all of these forms of group effort
have been hampered by the myriad real-world difficulties of finding and
coordinating with others. Our new group-forming media have removed many
of those difficulties, and we are in the middle of a transformation of
all kinds of group action.

About Clay
========

Clay Shirky studies the way communications tools alter or amplify social
life; his current work is on large-scale collaborative networks. Mr.
Shirky is on the faculty at NYU's graduate Interactive
Telecommunications Program, and has worked as an advisor or consultant
to many organizations, including Yahoo, Microsoft, the U.S. Navy, the
BBC, and Lego. He has also been an advisor to many social startups,
including Meetup, Social Text, del.icio.us, Flickr, and Dodgeball. Mr.
Shirky is the author of the forthcoming book, "Here Comes Everybody: The
Power of Organizing Without Organizations", which examines the ways in
which new forms of social media are allowing for new kinds of
collaborative action.

More information here:
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/berkmanevents/2008/02/27/tomorrow-february-28-shirky/