[hcs-d] I^3 Pitch Competition/Team-Builder AND Crucial I^3 Application Info

David Kosslyn dkosslyn at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 1 13:40:25 EST 2008

I3: Elevator Pitch Competition and Team Building Event

Looking for a partner for the I3 Innovation Challenge?  Curious to
hear about amazing ideas your peers are coming up with?

If so, come to the Entrepreneurship Forum's upcoming Elevator Pitch
Competition and Team Building Event, on Sunday February 3rd at 2pm in
the Lowell Junior Common Room. This will be a fantastic opportunity
to meet partners and form a team for any of the I^3 tracks: For-
profit Startups, Campus Service Ventures, Social Entrepreneurship,
and Creative Enterprises.

People with project ideas will be able to share them in the form of
one minute elevator pitches, followed by 1-2 minutes of Q&A.  The
audience will vote for the winner who will receive a $100 cash prize.

Following the elevator pitch competition, non-presenters will be able
to meet people with ideas to learn more and form partnerships, all
over drinks and amazing finale's deserts.

Space in the elevator pitch portion of the event is limited.  Please
RSVP to dkosslyn at fas.harvard.edu by the night of Saturday February
2nd with your name and a brief idea description if you're interested
in presenting an idea for the elevator pitch.

Elevator Pitch Competition and Team Building
Sunday February 3
2pm Lowell JCR

I3 Registration Now Open: http://i3.fas.harvard.edu
Thank you to Finale for its support of the Entrepreneurship Forum.

------------------

See below for answers to these frequently asked questions about the I^3:

1) What types of projects can win the I^3, and what are the prizes?

2) What is the calendar for the I^3?

3) Who is eligible to participate in the I^3?

4) How do I submit an application to the I^3?

1) What types of projects can win the I^3, and what are the prizes?

Below are the criteria and awards for each of the four I^3 tracks.

For all tracks, winners should be prepared to commit ~2 months of
Summer 2008 towards pursuing their idea using the I^3 award money.

HSA Campus Service Venture Track:

-For-profit businesses created to operate on the Harvard campus (e.g.
DormAid, Unofficial Tours).

-Winners, if they choose to pursue their venture, will receive a
$2,500 cash prize, and become General Managers of their operation at
HSA, with access to HSA office space, IT, E-commerce, accounting and
back-office support for their business, a yearly salary of ~$15,000,
and 20% profit sharing for the duration of their tenure at Harvard.
Upon graduation, entrepreneurs may continue to operate their
business, or may sell it to HSA at a negotiated price.

-If the Campus Service Venture track winners choose not to pursue
their idea, they will still receive a $1,000 award from HSA, which
will receive the rights to the idea.

Creative Enterprise Track:

-Non-business ventures whose goal is to effect a change in the world
through creativity and the arts.

-1st place teams will receive at least a $10K cash grant

For-Profit Startup Track:

-For-profit business ventures, in any industry.

-1st place teams will receive at least a $10K cash grant

Social Entrepreneurship Track:

-Not-for-profit ventures whose goal is to effect social impact
through business.

-1st place teams will receive at least a $10K cash grant

2) What is the calendar for the I^3?

Below are the key dates for the competition:

Mandatory Registration Deadline: Fri February 8th
             - Track specification
             - 250 word preliminary project summary (does not have to
be project's final form)

Full Project Proposal Deadline Fri February 22nd
             - Final 250 word project summary
             - 5-6 page Project Plan, which should include:

- Description of project concept

- Opportunity for impact and value proposition

- Business and/or sustainability model

- Project development plan

- Description of team

Semi-Finalist Presentations and Interviews Mid-March

Awards Ceremony Thru April 10 (tentative)

3) Who is eligible to participate in the I^3?

Teams submitting projects to the I^3 must have a team leader from
Harvard College. However, team members can be from any university, as
well as from the greater entrepreneurship community.

Though the competition is particularly aimed at freshman, sophomores,
and juniors, seniors are eligible to win $15K of the total grant money.

4) How do I submit an application to the I^3?

You can register for the competition by the February 8th deadline by
visiting our website, i3.fas.harvard.edu (the link to registration is
on the front page), and submitting your preliminary project summary.
You can then submit your Project Plan through the same web application.

For further details and answers to other common questions, please
visit the I^3 website at i3.fas.harvard.edu