[hcs-d] automatic cluster setup and management

Zak Stone zstone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 00:23:09 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in building and maintaining an Ubuntu cluster, and I'm
curious whether FAI (http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/) and
bcfg2 (http://bcfg2.org/) are the right tools to use. Here are a few
of my objectives:

- Netbooting a new machine should integrate it into the cluster automatically.
- All machines should stay up-to-date with the Ubuntu repositories.
- It should be easy to gather stats from all machines.
- I would like to run Hadoop on the cluster.

I haven't found many start-to-finish tutorials or pointers on the web
about how to do this, and I'm looking for the simplest route possible.

Thanks for any advice you might have,
Zak