[HCS-D] New postfix, new spam filtering

Ivan Krstic krstic at hcs.harvard.edu
Fri May 20 21:49:12 EDT 2005

Ivan Krstic wrote:
> I've also installed greylisting,

I've now pulled the plug on this for the time being. The problem is that
greylisting produces a softbounce, which a lot of spam mailing software
catches and resends to the secondary MX. Bowser (mail.eecs) has no
greylisting software installed, and happily queues the mail, avoiding
our greylisting completely.

I've spoken to Matt about this, and we're considering getting rid of the
secondary MX record. Given our good uptime track record, and the fact
that every properly implemented mail server is more than capable of
queuing temporarily undeliverable mail on its own, I think this is
perfectly fine -- does anyone have any very loud objections to this? It
would drastically decrease the amount of spam we get.

-IK