[HCS-D] netapp notes

Ivan Krstic krstic at hcs.harvard.edu
Fri May 20 03:36:12 EDT 2005

Matt Gline wrote:
> it also supports LDAP, which is something we've
> been wanting to set up anyway...

Trust you me, the later we set it up, the happier we'll be. OpenLDAP is
a big heaping mess, with the BDB backend being incredibly prone to
crashing hard and shutting down authentication until the database repair
program is run manually. The SQL bindings which seem like a good
solution, uh, only seem like a good solution. Too fragile to be used day
to day.

Word on the street is that Netscape will be open sourcing what used to
be the Netscape Directory Server. Until then, running a free LDAP server
will mean 1) pain 2) relatively frequent, unpredictable downtime.

More trouble than it's worth.

-IK