[HCS-D] HCS/Harvard hosting PyCon 2006?

Ivan Krstic krstic at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu May 12 10:02:00 EDT 2005

myke cuthbert wrote:
> Getting Sanders Theater for 3 solid days from 9-6 would be
> impossible.  But if only 550 people are expected, I can't see why it
> would be needed.

Agreed. I will follow up on this.

> if they allow [wireless access] for short periods, since this is
> likely to be important to attendees.

If they don't, it's a show stopper, as outlined in the RFP (see one of
my previous e-mails). Getting permission for 600 people to use the
existing infrastructure, however, won't happen. The easiest way to go
about this is to get permission from HASCS to set up several of our own
access points (PyCON will provide these), have them do NAT, and register
their MAC addresses with netconnect via one of our personal FAS
accounts. Conference attendees would then be provided the WEP-128 key in
their registration materials.

Mind you, when I went to SpamConference 2005 at MIT and connected to
their wireless network, I was given a menu that allowed me to choose
whether I was an MIT affiliate, or a visitor. Upon selecting 'visitor',
I was given full network access for 24 hours in a bandwidth-limited
class that also seemed to be dropping outgoing packets to port 25. In
other words, it'd have been hard for me to leech bandwidth or send spam,
but I was reading my mail and browsing the web at high speeds. If MIT
can do this, I'm not sure why HASCS can't. But that's a whole different
battle.

> Would HCS have to handle hotels and other such stuff?

No. Please read the thread start message.

> The resources of Harvard and MIT should also be able to bring in some
> interesting guest speakers.

Quite.

> (It's a little bigger than I'd suggest for a first conference though.
> Any chance of hosting something at that time for 100-200 attendees and
> going for PyCon 2007?)

No. PyCON is looking for a home for the next few years; if we do a
decent job, they'll be here up to 2007 or 2008. That, in my opinion,
would be a fantastic situation for everyone involved.

Ivan.