[HCS-D] HCS/Harvard hosting PyCon 2006?

myke cuthbert cuthbert at fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 12 09:30:13 EDT 2005

Getting Sanders Theater for 3 solid days from 9-6 would be
impossible.  But if only 550 people are expected, I can't see why it
would be needed.  I would think the Keynote (1hr + 1hr on either side)
would be the only time in a conference when you might possibly get
near the full numbers.  The rest of the time, I'd think you could go
w/ Sci Ctr B, as someone suggested, and there are a number of rooms in
the 200-400 person range which could be rented during spring break
(Paine Hall also jumps to mind as being in the same area).  But each
additional building used is an additional security guard, while
getting lots of Sci Ctr lecture halls could save money like that.

If you collect money, you must have a police officer on duty, in
addition.

The last several conferences I've been at at universities,
participants had the option of registering their laptops for wireless
access.  I know HASCS is more conservative (for good reason) about
this than some organizations, but it would be good to check with them
if they allow this sort of thing for short periods, since this is
likely to be important to attendees.

Would HCS have to handle hotels and other such stuff?  If so, then
there may be significant financial risks (in case of conference
cancellation/moving).

It seems though that none of these problems is insurmountable, and
that, in an age when computers at Harvard really don't need advocacy
per se, it's the type of project that HCS should consider taking on.
The resources of Harvard and MIT should also be able to bring in some
interesting guest speakers.

Myke

(It's a little bigger than I'd suggest for a first conference though.
Any chance of hosting something at that time for 100-200 attendees and
going for PyCon 2007?)