[HCS-D] HCS/Harvard hosting PyCon 2006?

Ivan Krstic krstic at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed May 11 12:28:00 EDT 2005

Dear HCSers,

as some of you know, I have high ambitions for the future of HCS. Our
levels of technical service can always be better, and we could always be
doing more with computers, but one aspect in which I hope we can really
develop is our social visibility and service.

The following message was forwarded to me today. Basically, the
organizers of PyCon, the largest "official" annual Python Conference,
are not able to find a conference site that suits them.

I am interested in your opinions and thoughts on the viability of
Harvard hosting PyCon 2006. This is a preliminary message to discover if
any of you possess any show-stopping knowledge ("e.g. Harvard statute
from 1839 prohibits all amphibian-related conferences from taking place
in these hallowed halls"). Until then, I will get in touch with
pycon-organizers and notify them that we are looking into whether we
might be able to do this.

The actual obligations from Harvard's side would be relatively small: a
room that can host a large group and some connectivity. We can discuss
the ins and outs later -- for now, I'm interested in people's gut
reactions. Yay? Nay? Pursue? Not pursue?

Ivan.