[HCS-D]fixwebfiles

Philip Zeyliger philz at hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 19 01:19:29 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 12:36:24AM -0500, Matthew Adam Gline scribbled:
> We have permission to read fixwebfiles, and it strikes me that's all we

permission to read a file != permission to copy it

Except, I would argue, in the case of Unix config files of savvy
users.  I learned Unix partially by reading world-readable config
files of a few friendly users, and tend to keep my .procmailrc
world-readable for the same reason.  This reasoning doesn't
apply to scripts, since the scripts have to be readable
for you to execute them.

You should ask.

> alias fixwebfiles chmod 755 ~/web && chmod 644 ~/web/*

I like:

chmod -R ugo+rX ~/web

but better would be to exclude certain files (.* comes to mind)...
I don't know what other things FAS's script does.

--
                              (Note new e-mail)
      Philip Zeyliger :|: zeyliger at post.harvard.edu :|: Dunster '04