[HCS-D]firefox followup

Gregory N. Price gprice at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 14 16:33:36 EST 2004

  On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:31:00PM -0500, Ivan Krstic wrote:
    We could probably give a case for why it's in the best interest of FASCS
    to get more people using Firefox.

Sometime in January or February we'll have our annual meeting with
Frank Steen, director of HASCS and one of our faculty advisers.
This should be on the agenda.

Meanwhile, we should prepare how we're going to argue the idea;
this Chronicle story may help.

`Gee, we've observed that lots of students are getting spyware and the like;
report X suggests that a lot of this is coming through IE;
Firefox is an alternative that keeps out the spyware,
 and it's also faster and nicer to use;
perhaps it'd be good for students to advise them not to use IE,
 but rather Firefox.'

Perhaps add that some other universities have done the same; but it's
dubious whether invoking other universities as models, with the implicit
claim that their IT departments are smarter than ours, is helpful.

                Gregory