[HCS-D]Re: new student group

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:05:54 EST 2004

Gregory N. Price wrote:
> I'm not sure what `tagging-based' is supposed to mean, but the
> approach used by SpamAssassin certainly isn't false-positive-proof.

Right. I was referring to the fact that SA/CRM114 'tag' mail headers
with a spam index, and then let user-side software deal with it
(procmail) rather than rejecting mail outright - the RBL approach - at
the MTA level. This means the user can pick how strict she wants to be
by editing her procmailrc, and the worst case scenario is that she'll
wind up with a false positive filed away in the spam mailbox by
procmail, from where it's still retrievable. In the FASCS case, a hard
bounce is generated, and the mail never even gets close to the intended
recipient.

-IK