[HCS-D]Re: new student group

Gregory N. Price gprice at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:57:32 EST 2004

  On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:40:25PM -0500, Ivan Krstic wrote:
    >So all we have to avoid is a situation like HASCS's where some
    >legitimate mail with no resemblance (for a human) to spam gets blocked
    >for reasons like mentioning a domain whose IP address once belonged to
    >a spammer.

    This is the product of an RBL-style approach (I think FASCS uses XBL).

Indeed they do, and SBL too.  The cases I've seen were actually caused
by the latter.

    As long as we're only employing tagging-based spam filtering ala
    SA/CRM114, this won't happen.

I'm not sure what `tagging-based' is supposed to mean, but the
approach used by SpamAssassin certainly isn't false-positive-proof.
When a mail to my brother was blocked and its sender much confused, he
looked at the spam filter and found it was blocking anything matching
the pattern /cum/.  No whitespace around it, and no need for other
`bad' patterns to also match; just /cum/, and it's blocked.  He fixed
that pretty fast.

CRM114 is smarter than that, I think. =)  So is SpamAssassin.

                Gregory