[HCS-D]Re: new student group

Gregory Price gprice at hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 7 23:24:26 EST 2004

  On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:04:23PM -0500, HCS Account Services wrote:
    Hmm... Alright. studentbioethics is too long for us - the name has to be
    shorter than 8 characters :) Could you please fill out this form:

I did a little modest rtfming and found the limit is actually 16
characters unless you want to run NIS.  And if you want a longer
limit, you can get it by changing a couple of #defines and making
world.

So says `man adduser', anyway.

And here's a mail thread -- eight years old -- in which several folks
testify it's no problem (apparently in an age when the default value
was 8; I've looked at the header files and it's indeed 16 for us):

  http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/1996/freebsd-isp/19961006.freebsd-isp.html

So e.g. `bioethics' is fine.  So too, for that matter, `datamatch',
`badminton', and likely others that don't come to mind.

Anyone have a horror story to the contrary?

I love how we're finding all these unnecessary traditional
bureaucratic-snippy responses we used to think acctserv had to make
and discovering it doesn't.

                Gregory