[HCS-D]Mathematica for Linux?

Gregory N. Price gprice at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:00:39 EST 2004

  On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 10:26:12PM -0500, Thomas Beatty wrote:
    Does anyone know how I could get one of the Linux versions of
    Mathematica without having to pay Wolfram anything (like how we can
    download Mathematica for Windows from the FAS Computing webpage)?

FAS has a site license, so you can get it essentially the same way as
the Windows version.  It's a little more complicated, though, for
unknown reasons.

Hmm... used to be you went to www.courses.fas/software/mathematica and
it had instructions.  That page is gone.

But going to Wolfram's web site, it notices the Harvard IP address and
splashes a link right there telling about the site license.  It leads to

  http://wolfram.com/solutions/highered/site_info.cgi

(viewed, I expect, from the Harvard network.)

You'll want to follow the instructions to `request a student home-use license'.

Hope that does it.

                Gregory

    P.S. - Also (as long as I'm asking Linux questions), I'm running
    Mandrake 10.1 and whenever I try to use the console and ssh into
    fas.harvard.edu it tells me the connection is refused (FTP also doesn't
    work). The rest of my network connection (internet, file-transfer, IM)
    works fine. Anybody got any suggestions?

Odd.  Can you connect specifically to fas.harvard.edu by those other
means?  How about `telnet fas.harvard.edu 22' -- going to the SSH
port?  Should give you the greeting `SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2'.

Try also going to a specific host; say, `ssh ls02.fas.harvard.edu'.

Is that domain name resolving correctly?  Try `host fas.harvard.edu';
the answer should be 140.247.34.98.

I confess I'm shooting in the dark here.