*HCS* Re: hcs-discuss digest, Vol 1 #122 - 6 msgs

Marshall D. Perrin mperrin at hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:22:05 EST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 wkj at acm.org wrote:
> I am aware of that one and, no, it is not the one I had in mind (it
> isn't commercial, you'll notice).  Mathematica does TeX, but only as
> an exported format.  There was also another commercial program that
> was more properly a word-processor aimed at the technical community.
> Ah, there it is: Scientific Word at www.sciword.demon.co.uk.  Comes
> well recommmended by people who should know; I've never used it.

I used it myself several years ago, and will second that
recommendation. I haven't used LyX and so cannot compare them, but for
WYSIWY(roughly)G math or scientific typesetting it works quite well, and
the learning curve is rather less steep than that of raw LaTeX for most
users. There's also a version called Scientific Workplace which features
direct hooks into Mathematica or Maple so you can simultaneously
calculate stuff and typeset it directly.

That said, I currently do all my LaTeXing in vim, for the aforementioned
reason of "you can edit it from anywhere." Well, that and I really like
vim. :-)

 - Marshall