*HCS* Re: hcs-discuss digest, Vol 1 #122 - 6 msgs

wkj at acm.org wkj at acm.org
Sat Jan 19 03:03:46 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:33:08PM -0800, Stephen Provine wrote:
> --- William Josephson <wkj at acm.org> wrote:
> > There are commercial programs based on LaTeX that provided a GUI
> > interface.  A fellow I worked with a BTL last summer had very good
> > things to say about it (I've forgotten the name of the program,
> > unfortunately).  Especially for core papers as opposed to mathematics,
> > I see no particular advantage to the GUI myself.  As for type-setting
> > mathematics: text markup is a viable alternative while abortions such
> > as MS equation editor are not.
>
>The main one is called LyX - www.lyx.org.  It isn't fully WYSIWYG, but isn't

I am aware of that one and, no, it is not the one I had in mind (it
isn't commercial, you'll notice).  Mathematica does TeX, but only as
an exported format.  There was also another commercial program that
was more properly a word-processor aimed at the technical community.
Ah, there it is: Scientific Word at www.sciword.demon.co.uk.  Comes
well recommmended by people who should know; I've never used it.

 -WJ