*HCS* Re: hcs-discuss digest, Vol 1 #122 - 6 msgs

Stephen Provine swprovine at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 02:33:08 EST 2002

--- William Josephson <wkj at acm.org> wrote:
> There are commercial programs based on LaTeX that provided a GUI
> interface.  A fellow I worked with a BTL last summer had very good
> things to say about it (I've forgotten the name of the program,
> unfortunately).  Especially for core papers as opposed to mathematics,
> I see no particular advantage to the GUI myself.  As for type-setting
> mathematics: text markup is a viable alternative while abortions such
> as MS equation editor are not.

The main one is called LyX - www.lyx.org.  It isn't fully WYSIWYG, but isn't
indended to be.  It's good at math formulae, with simple keyboard shortcuts for
almost all the standard LaTeX functionality.  The display is less refined than
equation editor, but it's much easier to read than raw LaTeX.  It can
import/export LaTeX files, has a bunch of decent document layouts, etc.  I used
it most of the way through college because it takes a fraction of the time of
writing raw LaTeX.

Stephen