*HCS* TeX template

Noam Zeilberger zeilberg at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 17 23:34:33 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:19:55PM -0500, Scott A. Golder wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Noam Zeilberger wrote:
> :On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:33:18PM -0500, Scott A. Golder wrote:
> :> Hi, HCSers.  Does anyone happen to have a good LaTeX template for writing
> :> papers.  Like the kind you might use for a core paper or something.
> :What are you looking for beyond basic functionality?  For core papers (such
> :as the one I am "writing" right now) usually the only extra thing I need is
> :a single spaced quote environment.  mla.sty was useful back in the day.
>
> Basic functionality is all I really need.

Well, this is what one of my 12pt, 1.5-spaced papers would look like:
%%%%%
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\input junk.sty  % mostly math symbols defined in here
\linespread{1.3}

\author{Me}
\title{Witty Title}
\date{Now}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

Will this paper reach ten pages?  Well, why don't we let it run awhile
and check?  But what if it never stops??...
\end{document}
%%%%%

> Handling block quotes is really
> good too.  I'd love a copy.  Maybe others would as well?

Actually, I've never really learned TeX, so the following is an old hack
that I'd like to replace if someone has a better version:
\renewenvironment{quote}
{\list{}{\rightmargin\leftmargin}\relax\item\linespread{1.0}\em\em}
{\vspace*{-8pt}\endlist{}}

> I'll have to have
> a look at mla.sty.

I've avoided it since expos.