*HCS* designing a mailing list server

Noam Zeilberger zeilberg at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 4 19:34:36 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 04:35:23PM -0500, Scott A. Golder wrote:

> Hi, HCS folk.  At an HCS manager meeting the other day, some were lamenting
> how much majordomo sucks and, even if Mailman is not bad, it's written in
> (ewww) python.

As William said, python isn't that bad.  Nonetheless, I'm all in favor
of writing a listserv in postscript.

Features I'd like to see:

* well-defined and configurable semantics for security and privacy
* better built-in spam filters or ability to easily integrate with
  external filters
* spam evasion (e.g. if addresses are listed on a publically available
  page, try to publish them in unharvestable form)
* periodically reroute messages intended for one list to a random
  different list, for humorous effect
* super clean, ultra fast