*HCS* designing a mailing list server

Scott A. Golder golder at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 4 16:35:23 EST 2002

Hi, HCS folk.  At an HCS manager meeting the other day, some were lamenting
how much majordomo sucks and, even if Mailman is not bad, it's written in
(ewww) python.  All over the web people complain about both major and
mailman sucking, but lots of times they don't give reasons.

Not that I plan or intend to write a replacement[1], nor even want to,
anytime soon.  I think it'd be fun to brainstorm what kinds of features
people'd want to see in it.  I'll get started.  Cascade!

* database backend using some SQL variety
* UI that allows subscribers to manage all their subscriptions on a single
page (assuming a web interface) and subscribe/unsubscribe easily.  Perhaps
this would be password-based, but use a password per user, not password per
user per list.

[1] http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~dholland/computers/ideas.html

Scott A. Golder '03
golder at fas.harvard.edu