*HCS* NYTimes.com Article: Apple's Cubist Epoch Entered the Museum as It Exited Stores

paulg53 at escape.com paulg53 at escape.com
Fri Aug 17 14:51:57 EDT 2001

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by paulg53 at escape.com.

I thought this story was too funny not to pass on...

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Let NYTimes.com Come to You

Sign up for one of our weekly e-mails
and the news will come directly to you.
YOUR MONEY brings you a wealth of analysis
and information about personal investing.
CIRCUITS plugs you into the latest on
personal technology. TRAVEL DISPATCH offers
you a jump on special travel deals and news.

http://email.nytimes.com/email/email.jsp?eta5

Apple's Cubist Epoch Entered the Museum as It Exited Stores

By PHIL PATTON

True, it looks like it belongs in the Museum of Modern Art," read
an advertisement from Apple Computer last year. "But the G4 Cube is
actually a supercomputer that belongs right on your desk." Now,
less than a year after its introduction, the Cube is indeed in the
Museum of Modern Art — and out of production. The Cube was
acquired for the Modern's design collection, along with six other
Apple products, shortly before Apple announced the Cube's demise.

 "The personality of these objects is incredibly important," said
Paola Antonelli, the curator of Workspheres, a recent exhibition
that included several Apple products. "These objects give more
meaning to the desk and the work. They are pleasant companions."

 Steven P. Jobs, Apple's chief executive, said that while his
company was "surprised and honored" by the inclusion in the Modern,
"the reason we care about design has more to do with touching the
everyday lives of users."

 The Museum of Modern Art already owns an original Macintosh from
1984, a Macintosh SE from 1987 and a QuickTake — a digital
camera ahead of its time — from 1994.

 For Mr. Jobs, product design is as important as architecture. The
eight-inch Cube, which had no cooling fan, radiated a Zen-like
calm, but sales did not live up to expectations.

 "That was not a failure of design," Mr. Jobs said. "It was a
failure of concept. We targeted the Cube at a professional
audience. We thought they would rather have something small on the
desk than expandability and we were wrong. It was a wrong concept
— fabulously implemented."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/16/technology/circuits/16GEE1.html?ex=999074317&ei=1&en=e8b8d3182f32cc5b

/-----------------------------------------------------------------\

Visit NYTimes.com for complete access to the
most authoritative news coverage on the Web,
updated throughout the day.

Become a member today! It's free!

http://www.nytimes.com?eta

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson at nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help at nytimes.com.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company