*HCS* Mac Python/Mojonation

Eddie Aftandilian aftandil at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 17 15:13:16 EDT 2000

> On 17/10/00, William Josephson wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 11:05:06AM -0400, Scott A. Golder wrote:
> > > On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, dmolnar wrote:
> > > :Any Mac Python programmers out there? We have this nice G4 sitting
> > > :around...
> > >
> > > This mac G4 is getting OSX shortly.  :)
> >
> > What it really needs is a good case of unadulterated *BSD :-p
>
> Actually, OS X is pretty close to being unadulterated BSD.  the
> underlying structure is pretty clean and Unixlike.  I'm rather
> impressed.
>
> about the only major difference is Aqua instead of X.  And really, who's
> all that tied to X?

There's actually quite a bit more in OS X than just BSD and Aqua.  There's a
new finder, "Quartz" (a PDF-based display layer), the Classic (OS 9)
environment, and a neat XML-based bundle system to encapsulate programs, for
example.

Check out this link for a good review of the OS X public beta:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/4q00/macosx-pb1/macos-x-beta-1.html