*HCS* Fishbowl + Least-Sucky-Linux Distroyy

William K. Josephson wkj at acm.org
Mon Oct 16 13:00:47 EDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 07:16:15AM -0700, Chris Palmer wrote:

> >>  > Why not FreeBSD?  that's what aerator runs, and it's NFS isn't broken,
> >>  > among other things.
> >>
> >  > Uh-oh... did somebody say the "B-word" again??
>
> Heh.  Well, in this case it means "Does not work" so I feel justified.

Linux NFS does work, it is, however, rather broken.  As a small client
implementation, it is fine, however.  On those grounds, there's no
reason to use BSD.

> >We don't want OpenBSD, I don't think.  We also don't want RedHat :-)
>
> Both are true.  For one, FreeBSD has linux binary compatibility,
> which means you
> can still have StarOffice on them, among other things.  As far as I
> know, OpenBSD
> has this not.

I don't think this is one of the better reasons not to use OpenBSD in
this application, actually, but that's a flame war better left to
another time :-). That and Linux binary compatibility is an annoying
beast, though if you can actually get something useable with it, so
much the better.  Shared libraries and paths under binary
compatibility can have rather amusing results.

 -WJ