*HCS* Napster

Carl Bosley bosley at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 3 01:45:21 EDT 2000

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 09:16:55PM -0400, Marshall D. Perrin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, William K. Josephson wrote:
> > > The NOC is now imposing limitations.  See harvard.hascs for
> > > the usual New Speak drivel.
> >
> > Eh. Based on the fact that these are merely bandwidth limits, to slow
> > things down but not eliminate them, I don't think this is necessarily
> > politically motivated at all. Given the university's official refusal to
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I'd be rather surprised if it were, actually.  Nevertheless it is
> impeccable timing.

So, I thought the RIAA sued Yale and a couple other schools because they
were the ones which had partial napster bans (during portions of the day
to limit bandwidth), and all three caved due to some legal issue that
affected them because they had instituted partial bans rather than not
treating napster specially.

Does this mean Harvard is now exposed in the event that the RIAA would
want to sue Harvard?

Carl