[HCS] March Madness: Networks, Networking, and NO(C)C Tours

Joshua Kroll jkroll at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 29 11:39:33 EST 2008

March seems, quite by accident, to have become networking month for
us. We've managed to arrange tours of both the Network Operations
Center (NOC) at Harvard's UIS and the Network Operations and Control
Center (NOCC) at Akamai Technologies. You're probably wondering "what
is a NO(C)C?" Imagine a big cold-war style room with a wall covered
with screens containing maps, graphs, and tables while people sit at
banks of computers in front of it and control the world. Or at least
the world's networks.

Since we haven't yet set the times of these tours, I invite people to
take the following short poll. I'll combine the results with times
available for tours and pick the best ones:

http://www.doodle.ch/uthfp5967tdhkecn

Finally, once we have times set, we'll put together a short talk on
networks and networking so that people who want to attend the tours
will have the right background to ask good questions. Let me know if
you'd be interested in either coming to or helping put together such a
talk.

Ack,
Josh