[HCS] Intro Meeting/Office Hours - Monday, Sci Ctr 229, 8pm

Steven Michael Melendez melend at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 21 15:35:57 EDT 2006

The Harvard Computer Society will be holding its introductory meeting and
office hours this Monday, September 25, in Science Center room 229. Pizza
and soft drinks will be served.

Existing members, potential members and everyone in between are invited to
hear and propose ideas for this year's projects and learn what the Harvard
Computer Society is all about. Existing members vary widely in technical
expertise, and it's definitely possible to make a contribution and enjoy
being involved with the society, even if you're not (yet) a Linux guru.
Most members of the society aren't computer science concentrators, and
anyone at Harvard interested in computers should attend this meeting,
regardless of background.

Potential projects for this year include continuing to maintain and
upgrade our servers running Ubuntu Linux, continuing the guest speakers
program that's brought speakers like Paul Graham, Stephen Wolfram, Steve
Wozniak, Cory Doctorow and Tim O'Reilly to campus, rejuvenating the
currently dormant but previously popular series of on-campus seminars
introducing Harvardians to Photoshop, LaTeX, the GIMP and other useful
software, providing much-needed companionship to lonely Harvardians at
Valentine's Day through our famed Datamatch program and anything else
members find to be of interest.

Student groups and individuals with questions about HCS services are also
encouraged to attend, and we'll be happy to provide you with a slice of
pizza and some useful assistance. If you can't make it to office hours,
please contact account services at acctserv at hcs.harvard.edu to see if we
can solve your problem via email or make an appointment.

If you want to find out more about the Harvard Computer Society, you might
also want to consider subscribing to the discussion list through our
online form at http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. I hope to see you
at the meeting.

Steven Melendez
HCS President