[HCS]Announce for wk of 10/29/01

Scott A. Golder golder at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 29 12:40:46 EST 2001

*************************************
THIS WEEK:
*************************************
(1) Save Usenet at Harvard
(2) Usenet seminars
(3) HCS/HASCS Meeting Nov. 13
(4) Next Steering Meeting Nov. 6
(5) Harvard Course ePinions site?
*************************************

(1) Save Usenet at Harvard
*************************************
HASCS has recently revealed that they plan to do away with the fas news
server, news.fas.  If you read usenet -- if you ever read usenet -- if you
think maintining usenet is a good idea, please email suggest at fas and tell them
so.  Better, post your dismay to harvard.hascs.

This will be a key issue for HCS at the HASCS meeting (see below).

I would like us to run some usenet seminars shortly (i.e. before the 13th.)
and publicize them.  Since there is no steering meeting this week, anyone who
is interested in helping with this, please come to the office tomorrow
(Tuesday) at 7 PM to plan.
*************************************

*************************************
(2) Usenet seminars
*************************************
Let's save usenet by teaching people how to use it.  This will involve:
(a) creating a curriculum
(b) publicizing the hell out of it (in a user-friendly manner)
(c) actually leading seminars

This is vital to saving usenet at Harvard.  Please, please help.  Come
tomorrow (Tuesday 10/30) at 7 to the HCS office to plan out this stuff.
at 5 PM in the Science Center.  Topics will include new help systems (like the
HASCS help knowledge base, which is really spiffy -- try it out) and VPN
solutions for wireless (which may conspicuously lack linux support) and, of
course, sacrificing usenet.

If you support usenet, please attend.   If you support OSes that are not
Windows nor MacOS, please attend.
*************************************

*************************************
(4) Next Steering Meeting Nov. 6
*************************************
The next steering meeting will be Tuesday the 6th at 7 PM in the HCS Office.
Do attend, as it can be lots of fun.

Someone pointed out last week that there is often a promise of pizza, but when
too few people show, no pizza is gotten.  This can be cyclical, in either
direction.  I propose we change the direction -- if you show up at 7 PM, then
there *will* be pizza.  Skip dinner and come to HCS.  We'll feed you.  :)

(5) Harvard Course ePinions site?
Wouldn't it be great to know what people *really* think of Harvard courses?
The cue guide is mediated and moderated -- a public forum, like epinions,
would be really nice.  This project probably involves a little coding
(MySQL+PHP or whatever the consensus on scripting languages is these days) and
some publicity and some working with administration.  But wouldn't it be fun?
Want to participate, email Jinger (jinger at hcs).