[HCS]HCS news for the week of Sept. 17th

David Mitby dmitby at hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 19 01:12:22 EDT 2000

Welcome back!  We hope your class selection and opening weeks are going
well.  We're looking forward to another fun year for the HCS.

In this issue:

I.   Intro HCS Meeting Tuesday
II.  BBQ Friday the 29th (send ID's now)!
III. TECH Organizational Meeting Wednesday
IV.  IOP Technology Forum Wednesday
V.   Fall General Meeting - 26th

I.   Intro HCS Meeting Tuesday

The Fall Intro HCS Meeting will be tomorrow (Tuesday the 19th) at 7:00pm
in the Green Room in Loker Commons.  If you're new to the Society, come
meet some of the members and learn about the organization; if you're an
old-timer, come meet the new folks and tell them all about the HCS.  As
always, there will be food!

II.  BBQ Friday the 29th (send ID's now)!

The HCS annual Fall BBQ will be Friday, September 29th at 5:00pm on the
Science Center Lawn.  A highlight of the season, the BBQ is a great chance
to welcome new freshmen and beat them at frisbee and other fun activities.

If you even think you might attend, please send your ID# to Eva Holtz (our
awesome membership coordinator) at eholtz at hcs.harvard.edu so we can get
enough food for all!

III.  TECH Organizational Meeting Wednesday

TECH, the Technology and Entrepreneurship Center at Harvard, invites you
to its inaugural organizational meeting this Wednesday in Maxwell-Dworkin
G-125.

Come for a pizza dinner and help shape TECH's growth in its critical first
year. Since our humble beginnings last spring, we've got our own lab space
in Pierce 410, a fantastic speaker series, a conference in the works, and
much much more.

This is a great opportunity to get involved with TECH, ask questions,
learn about our plans for the year, meet other interested students, pick
TECH's leadership for the fall, and share your own visions for the center.

--->                   Wednesday, September 20
--->                    Maxwell-Dworkin G-125
--->                          5:30 pm
--->                   Pizza & Soda Provided

If you can come, please RSVP to dmitby at hcs.harvard.edu so we can order
enough pizza.  Feel free to forward this to people you think might be
interested, and encourage them to RSVP or write with any questions.

IV.  IOP Technology Forum Wednesday

The HCS is co-sponsoring an IOP Forum this Wednesday:

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2000                        8:00 PM

               "E-DEMOCRACY:  GRADUAL CHANGE OR REVOLUTION?"

A Panel Discussion With:
DICK MORRIS, President, Vote.com; Commentator, Fox News Channel;
Columnist, New York Post
JACOB WEISBERG, Chief Political Correspondent, Slate
Jonathan Zittrain (Moderator), Faculty Co-Director, Berkman Center for
Internet & Society; Assistant Professor, Harvard Law School

Co-sponsored by the Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee,
Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats, Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club,
Harvard Political Review and Harvard Computer Society

The event will take place in the ARCO Forum, which is located in the
atrium of the Kennedy School of Government (79 JFK Street).

V.   Fall General Meeting - 26th

Mark your calendars -- we're planning to do the Fall General Meeting on
September 26th at 7:00pm in Loker Commons.  We'll unveil projects for the
semester and all the fun things to do with the Society.  All should
attend.