[HCS]HCS News for the Week of 12/10

David Mitby dmitby at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 11 15:28:49 EST 2000

In this issue...

I.   Congratulations to the new HCS Board!!!
II.  HCS Endorses Paul Gusmorino for UC President
III. Steering Meeting Tuesday
IV.  Technology Management Program
V.   Shuttlegirl still needs a Silhouette...
VI.  Trilogy Event

I.   Congratulations to the new HCS Board!!!

Elections were held tonight for the new HCS Board for the 2001 term.  Huge
congratulations to:

Scott Golder, President
Aron Croft, Projects Coordinator
Philip Zeyliger, Business Manager
Jared Morgenstern, Communications Manager
Eva Holtz, Membership Coordinator

We'll spend the month of January doing transitional work, and the Board will
officially take office at the start of second semester.  This is a fantastic
team, and on a personal note, I couldn't be more excited about what this
group can do to take the Society forward.  Will definitely a great year get
involved.

II.  HCS Endorses Paul Gusmorino for UC President

Rarely has the HCS had much concern over the politics of the UC, but rarely
has a candidate for President so clearly stood out above the rest.  I'm
pleased to report that the HCS has decided to endorse Paul Gusmorino.  Paul
has been an active HCS member since his freshmen year, and has been a
leading advocate for technology on campus ever since (serving as UC
technology coordinator).  In addition to bringing UC services to the web
(mailing list, website overhaul, grant applications, etc...), Paul wrote UC
Books -- a textbook search site that has emerged as one of the UC's biggest
contributions to the student body in recent memory.  Paul was also the guy
who bought and set up http://www.safetyschool.org (try it!) just in time
for the Big Game.

Paul is a true Renaissance man -- this is the kind of guy who understands
the need for students to save money on textbooks, organizes its publicity
campaign, and as a bonus, can tell all of us CS-folks that the search is
an NP-complete problem that was solved with special optimization
techniques.  Very cool.  On top of that, he's a truly nice guy and a great
friend to the Society.

Thus we encourage everyone to vote for Paul.  Voting starts at 12:01am on
Wednesday; every vote counts.  And since it's done electronically, your
intent is easily determined -- and thus we ask that it be for Paul.  :)

III. Steering Meeting Tuesday

There will be an HCS Steering Meeting on Tuesday at 7:00pm in the HCS
Office.

real-world projects to be completed during a single semester by teams of
three to five technically skilled students.  Should you be one of those
students?

For more info contact me at tcastill at fas.harvard.edu.

Thomas Castillo
Assistant Director