[HCS]HCS News for the week of 12/03

David Mitby dmitby at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 4 21:56:35 EST 2000

In this issue:
I.   Board Elections on December 10th
II.  HCS Voice Launch Party December 7th
III. TECH Student Forum Wednesday
IV.  Harvard Entrepreneurial Action Team (HEAT)

---
I.   Board Elections on December 10th

The HCS will have its annual Board Elections on Sunday, December 10th at
8:00pm.  We have five positions: President, Business Manager, Projects
Coordinator, Communications Manager, and Membership Coordinator.  Any HCS
member is eligible and encouraged to run for a position.  All members are
asked to please vote.  All counting will be done by hand, as per a recent
decision by the HCS Supreme Court of randomness in computation.

NOTE: Remember that you must be an official HCS member to participate;
students are granted membership by the board (and are given accounts
on hcs.harvard.edu and other privileges).  If you are interested in
becoming a member, have been active in the society, and feel that we
have inadvertently left you out, please e-mail board at hcs.harvard.edu right
away and let us know.

---
II.  HCS Voice Launch Party December 7th

The Harvard Computer Society is proud to announce the launch of HCS
Voice--the first-ever collegiate voice portal!  Our beta version is
complete, and we are kicking off the event with a launch party, co-sponsored
by Tellme Networks.  And 6 HCS alums who are now at Tellme will be there
too, so it's definitely time to party!

         HCS Voice Launch Party
    Thursday, December 7th at 9:00pm
            Lowell House JCR
     sushi, veggies, and other goodies

All are welcome, but please RSVP to me (dmitby at hcs) so we'll have enough
yummy raw fish :)  Hope to see you there!

---
III. TECH Student Forum

You are invited to participate in the TECH Student Forum on
Wednesday, December 6, 2000, 6:30—7:30pm
Maxwell Dworkin G-125

This is your chance to really get involved with TECH and take your place
in Harvard's High Tech Innovation Community.
No experience required.
Energy, enthusiasm, creativity, curiosity, initiative a must.

Come find out about:
LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
STUDENT INITIATIVES
RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
SPRING SEMESTER EVENTS

Free Pizza & Soda Afterwards
Register by email to: tech at deas.harvard.edu

Check TECH out: www.deas.harvard.edu/tech

---
IV.  Harvard Entrepreneurial Action Team

HEAT is a group of Harvard undergrads with experience in finance,
start-ups, consulting and technology. We're here to help student
entrepreneurs take their ideas to the next level.

What we Offer You:
1.) Free, confidential advice from students who have seen entrepreneurs
face the issues you're now grappling with.
2.) Help with business-plan writing, competition research, team building,
presentation skills, and fund raising.
3.) Access to talent database of other students that would be interested
to join your team.
4.) Introductions to professors, entrepreneurs, and venture capitalists
who are willing to help you once you've begun to grow your company.

Please contact Alex Rubalcava at arubalc at fas (cc: papakons at fas) if:
-> You have idea(s) but are hesitant to invest your time in them
because: you don't know their potential value and viability, you don't
have a team, and/or you don't know how to actualize them, or
-> You want to get involved (ask for an application form)