[HarvardBiotechClub] HBC bulletin_May 15, 2013

harvardbiotechclub at lists.hcs.harvard.edu harvardbiotechclub at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
Wed May 15 13:53:53 EDT 2013

Dear Members,

If you have biotech or healthcare-related news/events/jobs that you would
like us to advertise, please email us with concise event information
(format: Title, date, time, venue, description, contact info/event website)
in text form.

Please do not only send us a flyer! Please send us material at least 3
weeks in advance so we can include your event on the bi-weekly bulletin.
HBC.announcement at gmail.com

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Shyh-Chang: shyhng at fas.harvard.edu

Harvard Biotechnology Club: *www.thebiotechclub.org*

Today’s Topics:

*EVENTS*

* *

*1.     **Meet Third Rock Ventures – TODAY!*

*2.     **MALSI Day 2013 – send your poster application by TODAY!***

*JOB OPPORTUNITIES*

* *

*1.     **Senior Associate, Business @** Third Rock Ventures*

*2.     **Senior Associate, Science @** Third Rock Ventures***

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

* *

*2013 HBA Boston Healthcare Forum -- Delivering Value During Healthcare
Reform***

* *

* *

*EVENTS*

* *

*1. Meet Third Rock Ventures*

Third Rock Ventures (TRV) is a premier life sciences venture capital firm.
With over $1.3 Billion raised since it started in 2007, Third Rock Ventures
has assembled an entrepreneurial team with deep expertise and a proven
track record of building some of the most respected and successful life
sciences companies. Come and meet with representatives from Third Rock
Ventures and learn how you can be part of their success story.

Featuring:
*Robert Tepper*, Founding Partner of TRV
*Alexis Borisy*, Partner at TRV and CEO of Warp Drive Bio
*Craig Greaves*, Recruiting Partner at TRV
*Kiran Reddy*, Principal at TRV and CBO of SAGE Therapeutics

Date/time: May 15th 2013, 5:00pm

Venue: Cannon Room, Harvard Medical School Building C (
http://q2m.hms.harvard.edu/Directions.htm)

PS: Refreshments start at 4:45pm for RSVPs. RSVP to rsvp at thebiotechclub.org

*2.  MALSI Day 2013 – Email your poster application by today!***

As part of the organizing committee, we are inviting all Massachusetts
students and postdocs interested in life sciences startups to attend the
Massachusetts Life Sciences Initiative
(MALSI<http://www.mattcenter.org/malsi-day-2013/home.html>)
Day conference, the largest one-day conference on life sciences in Boston,
Massachusetts.* *In addition,* ALL Harvard students and postdocs have a
chance to attend the conference at a discount via the Harvard Office of
Technology Transfer if they present their work at the MALSI Poster
Session,*which provides great exposure to the Boston circle of
investors and
entrepreneurs. Attractive cash prizes will also be awarded to the winners.

Please fill out the poster application form (
http://media.umassp.edu/mattcenter/malsi-day-2013/Poster%20Presenter%20Application_2013%20MALSI%20Day.doc<https://2007exch.fasmail.harvard.edu/OWA/redir.aspx?C=1968559502a94a2390268c80b0f4e0de&URL=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.umassp.edu%2fmattcenter%2fmalsi-day-2013%2fPoster%20Presenter%20Application_2013%20MALSI%20Day.doc>)
and email it to
jgoldberg at umassp.edu<https://2007exch.fasmail.harvard.edu/OWA/redir.aspx?C=1968559502a94a2390268c80b0f4e0de&URL=mailto%3ajgoldberg%40umassp.edu>by
May
15, 2013.**

*Massachusetts Life Sciences Innovation Day
2013<http://www.mattcenter.org/malsi-day-2013/home.html>
*

*WHEN: *June 5th 2013

*WHERE: *Harvard Club of Boston

*Note: *Email poster applications to **

 jgoldberg at umassp.edu<https://2007exch.fasmail.harvard.edu/OWA/redir.aspx?C=1968559502a94a2390268c80b0f4e0de&URL=mailto%3ajgoldberg%40umassp.edu>by
May
15, 2013

* *

*JOB OPPORTUNITIES*

* *

*1.     **Senior Associate, Business @** Third Rock Ventures*

*Overview:  *

* *

Third Rock Ventures is a premier life sciences venture capital firm.  Our
mission is to launch exceptional life science companies with passionate
entrepreneurs, working in areas of disruptive science to make a difference
in the lives of patients.

With over $1.3 billion raised since we started in 2007, we are poised for
continued success as we strive to deliver breakthrough therapies, devices
and diagnostics to meet unmet patient needs. Our innovative and hands-on
approach <http://www.thirdrockventures.com/about_approach.php> to
launching, building and operating promising life science companies is
highly differentiated, and we have assembled an entrepreneurial team with
deep expertise and a proven track record of building some of the most
respected and successful life sciences companies.

*You will benefit by:*

* *

·       Working side by side with other accomplished entrepreneurs to
ideate new company concepts

·       Contributing to our unique Company Discovery model which
continually evaluates key areas of science and technology

·       Contributing to the founding and building of a new company from
idea to company launch

·       Identifying, engaging and recruiting scientific thought leaders and
potential scientific founders

·       Learning to deliver results in a high energy, informal culture that
thrives on creative chaos

*Job Responsibilities:*

 Opportunity analysis

·       Member/or leader of a Discovery project team performing the company
building and due diligence activities required in making investment
decisions

·       Evaluate the scientific, technical, IP, commercial landscape of the
science and/or platform technology

·       Generate and analyze financial models

·       Prepare documentation and drive the internal review process which
will result in Series A Go/No Go financing decisions

·       Screen business plans and investment proposals

·       Work with founders and management teams on operational and
strategic issues for future TRV portfolio companies

Firm operations

·       Serve as key firm resource on term sheet negotiation, venture
financing transactions and M&A activity

·       Build, analyze and maintain financial models

·       Gather and analyze market intelligence on the life science deal and
financing environment via research reports, press, databases and other
sources

·       Execute on new Company investment ideas

*Ideal Qualifications:*

   - Entrepreneurial and self-directed work style; flexible, high
   initiative and comfortable with ambiguity
   - 3-5 years proven business experience in the life sciences industry in
   one or more of the following environments: consulting, venture capital or
   operating company
   - MBA required; with undergraduate degree in life sciences strongly
   preferred
   - Transactional, business development and financing experience desired
   - Strong skills in quantitative analysis and research, presentation and
   communication

*Applying for a position:*

·       Please send a resume to careers at thirdrockventures.com**

·       For more information about TRV, please visit our website:
www.thirdrockventures.com

* *

[...]

·       Interfacing with current and potential future Scientific Founders

* *

*Job Responsibilities:*

* *

*  Opportunity analysis*

·       Member/or leader of a Discovery project team performing the company
building and due diligence activities required in making investment
decisions

·       Evaluate the scientific, technical, IP, commercial landscape of the
science and/or platform technology

·       Generate and analyze financial models

·       Prepare documentation and drive the internal review process which
will result in Series A Go/No Go financing decisions

·       Screen business plans and investment proposals

·       Work with founders and management teams on operational and
strategic issues for future TRV portfolio companies

·       Clinical data analysis

·       Scientific data analysis ( e.g. preclinical data)

*Firm operations*

·       Generate new investment ideas for the Company by monitoring the
scientific and business press (i.e. prepare and present discovery
topics/plans)

·       Gather and analyze market intelligence on the life science deal and
financing environment via research reports, press, databases and other
sources

·       Execute on new company investment idea

*Ideal Qualifications:*

* *

·       Degree candidate or graduate degree in life sciences required
(Ph.D. or M.D.), including medical residents and post-doctoral fellows with
research experience and a strong translational focus in a Life Sciences
discipline; M.D./ Ph.D.’s will be favorably considered

   - Must have demonstrated strength in scientific research and data
   analysis
   - Broad thinker who was the ability to quickly get up speed in areas
   outside his/ her scientific expertise

·       Demonstrated track record of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit
as evinced by internships at companies, starting companies, inventing novel
technologies

   - If an M.D., minimum of 2 years residency training preferred as well as
   some additional work in industry as a consultant, intern or employee
   - Additional work in industry as a consultant, intern or employee at an
   operating company preferred
   - Strong presentation and communication skills; candidate should feel
   comfortable presenting to groups
   - Experience in a start-up company a plus
   - Entrepreneurial and self-directed work style; flexible and comfortable
   with ambiguity

*Applying for a position:*

·       Please send a resume/CV along with publication list, if applicable,
to careers at thirdrockventures.com**

·       For more information about TRV, please visit our website:
www.thirdrockventures.com

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

* *

*2013 HBA Boston Healthcare Forum -- Delivering Value During Healthcare
Reform***

*Event date:* June 12, 2013
*Day of week:* Wednesday
*Start time:* 5:00 PM *End time:* 9:00 PM *Time zone:* EDT

*Event Details*
The 2013 HBA Boston Healthcare Forum is the chapter’s second annual
flagship event, and follows this year’s programming theme of “Equipping for
Change.” The forum features senior leaders from across all segments of the
healthcare industry, including representatives from hospitals, payers,
biopharma and medical devices. Their discussion, moderated by Martha
Bebinger, healthcare reporter for WBUR, centers on how all sectors of the
industry, from manufacturers, to providers, to insurers, can create value
in this environment of reform. Under Bebinger’s guidance, panelists will
share how their respective organizations are evolving to ensure high impact
on healthcare quality. They will also provide unique insights into patient
and system needs, and open a rich discussion of opportunities to manage
costs and generate true value with new products and services.

*Why Attend/Learning Objectives*
1. Broad cross-industry networking
2. New awareness of changes being driven in all healthcare sectors
3. Clearer understanding of the inpact of reform on your own role and your
company
4. Exposure to senior executives across the spectrum of healthcare

*Agenda*
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM Registration, Networking, Appetizers
6:00 PM - 6:10 PM Welcome, Opening Remarks, Introduction of Speakers
6:15 PM - 7:30 PM Panel Discussion and Dinner
7:30 PM - 8:00 PM Q & A
8:00 PM - 8:10 PM Closing Remarks
8:10 PM - 9:00 PM Networking, Dessert & Coffee Reception

*Event Location*
Hyatt Regency Cambridge
575 Memorial Dr
Cambridge, MA 02139-4896
(617) 492-1234

*Directions *<http://cambridge.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-cambridge/services/maps/index.jsp?src=agn_smg_hhc_ppc_google_ss_slk_propertyspecific_bosrc_mapsdirections&mckv=sMvPcB6bV%7Cpcrid%7C11994362007%7Cmtid%7C3944cfd18966%7C&hyattprop=yes>

*Special instructions:*
Complimentary parking for program attendees.

*Speakers **
**Michele Bennett* <http://www.linkedin.com/in/mbennett>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/mbennett>
COO, Wool Labs

*Dr. Karen Boudreau*
<http://www.bmchp.org/app_assets/karen-boudreau-press-release-final_20120418t090538_en_web_9e1afb59a1b348aebccec241fbc941d3.pdf>
CMO, Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan

*Anne Fitzgerald* <http://www.linkedin.com/in/annefitz>
VP, Network Development, Brigham and Women's Health Care

*Buket Grau* <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/buket-grau/1/198/22a>
Sr. Dir., Program Leadership and Management, Biogen Idec

*Facilitator:**
**Martha Bebinger* <http://www.wbur.org/about/people/martha-bebinger>
<http://www.wbur.org/about/people/martha-bebinger>
Healthcare reporter, WBUR

*Registration Information**: *http://www.hbanet.org/chapters/boston

*Event is open to:* HBA members and nonmembers
*Online Registration deadline:* June 10, 2013
*Onsite (walk-in) registration:* Is allowed

*Member rate:*
$80

*Nonmember rate:*
$110

*Cancellations/Refunds*
Is this event refundable? No

*Event Questions/Support*
- Program contact for event details: Contact email
kimberleekhansen at gmail.com and/or phone 978-337-8861
- Membership questions: membership at hbanet.org or 973-575-0606
- Trouble with online registration: events at hbanet.org or 919-890-5230

*Visit Us Online:*