[Greener-benches] FAS Green News: May 2014

Bemis, Jamie L jamie_bemis at harvard.edu
Mon May 12 14:01:30 EDT 2014

Dear All,
We hope you enjoyed the gorgeous weekend! It feels like our campus is taking a deep breath after all the Earth Day events last month. For those of you who are looking for more ways to learn and get engaged, we have a few interesting gatherings and events, but our focus this month is on programs and campaigns. Congratulations to Nocera Lab from CCB for winning our recent "Turn off the Lights" competition and to Whitesides Lab, also from CCB, for winning the Freecycle Challenge. Overall, more than 1200 items got donated to the April Lab Freecycle event (compared to 120-150 items at previous events!)
At the Earth Bonanza event, we piloted our new interactive quizzes for waste and energy. Please let us know if you'd like us to join your upcoming staff or lab group meeting for a few minutes to play the quiz with your co-workers. They're a great way to refresh everyone's memory about Harvard's recycling guidelines and learn about energy impacts of our actions in labs and offices.
Best wishes,
Gosia
Events:

  *   Wednesday, May 14, 7.30-9.30am: COMMUTERCHOICE'S BICYCLE APPRECIATION BREAKFAST by Au Bon Pain at the Smith Campus Center (formerly the Holyoke Center). Bring your helmet for a complimentary breakfast, bike tune-up, raffle prizes and giveaways!
  *   Thursday, May 15th, 12-1pm: Brown bag lunch TED Talkin Mallinckrodt 102. Join the FAS Green Program<http://green.harvard.edu/schools-units/arts-sciences-fas> for our monthly TED talk brown bag lunch series. In celebration of spring finally being here, our theme this month will be Urban Gardening! Come learn about Guerrilla Gardeners in L.A., or Bee Keepers in Boston, and maybe get inspired to start your own garden this summer. Snacks will be provided.
  *   Friday, May 16, 12pm: Environmental Science and Engineering Seminar, "Urbanization, Land Cover Change, and the Carbon Cycle" with Lucy Hutyra, Boston University,  100F Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford Street, Cambridge.
  *   Friday, May 16th, 11pm: FreeCycle: Harvard Recycling will be holding a FreeCycle<http://green.harvard.edu/events/harvard-freecycle> in the Smith Center Arcade. Bring any reusable office supplies or home goods, and take away any treasures you find. Contact Rob_gogan at harvard.edu<mailto:Rob_gogan at harvard.edu> with any questions.
  *   Wednesday, May 21, 8.30-4.30pm: Deep Energy Retrofit Workshops , Merrimack College.  The workshop looks at building science, design, and methods for deep energy retrofits.  Marc Rosenbaum, Director of Engineering at South Mountain Company, is the featured speaker.  For more information, click here<http://www.nesea.org/be-local/der-series/north-shore/>.

Program Highlights:

  *    Lighting Competition Sees Big Savings in CCB. Four labs- Myers, Jacobsen, Nocera and Shair- competed in a pilot "Turn Out the Lights" contest, and the results were huge: lighting usage decreased by 35% on average, with the winning lab showing a 54% reduction. Find out more here.
  *   Join the 2014 Lab Environmental Competition! The Green Labs Program is excited to launch the first-ever Harvard-wide Lab Environmental Competition! From May 26th- June 20th, labs from across Harvard will compete for four weeks to save energy and reduce waste in their labs by donating unwanted equipment, cleaning out freezers, and participating in surveys and contests. At the end of the competition, the lab with the most points will win a one-of-a-kind trophy, and the department with the most participating labs will win a breakfast party! Sign up your lab for the competition today<https://harvardofs.wufoo.com/forms/z1xrwbu0g4y6jf/> and help your lab and department win!
  *   EAC-REP Earth Day Fair: Undergraduates celebrated Earth Day and Green Cup winners at the annual Earth Day Fair on April 27. This year's big Green Cup winners were Adams (Participation, 1st place Green House Committee), Cabot (2nd place Green House Committee), and Kirkland House (Resource Conservation). Check out photos from the day on the OFS Facebook Page<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152102305437654.1073741845.343769672653&type=1>.
  *   Yard Planting: The Freshman Dean's Office, FMO Landscaping Services, and the Resource Efficiency Program partnered to bring a fun afternoon of digging, planting, and pizza to the class of 2017 on May 7. Check out photos from the day on the OFS Facebook Page<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152102296837654.1073741844.343769672653&type=1>.

*
Gosia Sklodowska, C.E.M.,  LEED AP   | Senior Manager| Harvard University Office for Sustainability: Faculty of Arts and Sciences & Longwood|
Biolabs Rm.5100| Cambridge, MA 02138 | [c] 617.599.4367 | http://green.harvard.edu/fas