[Greener-benches] Reuse Room Comes to Biology

Bemis, Jamie L jamie_bemis at harvard.edu
Tue Aug 13 12:30:17 EDT 2013

Dear All,

We are very excited to announce the launch of a brand new reuse room at Biology! As of this week, labs at Biology will no longer have to fight to keep empty coolers and needless ice packs from clogging their shelves and benchtops. Starting today, researchers from all labs and departments can bring the following items to the Reuse Room (located in Biolabs Room 1041) for reuse or recycling:

*         Empty, clean styrofoam coolers with return address labels and postage affixed (i.e. New England Biolabs, Sigma Aldrich, and other vendors with take-back programs)

*         New England Biolabs gel ice packs

*         Unwanted (but functioning) lab and office supplies

*         Small electronic waste
Styrofoam cooler take-back programs have existed for some time, but this will be the first time an organized strategy for handling this process has been implemented at the Biolabs. In addition, we are partnering with New England Biolabs to pilot the first-ever gel pack reclamation program for both the company and the university. Please note: All of the lab items that are available for reuse will be posted on the Labs Reuse List, and we will send out a weekly email with updates on new items. Feel free also to stop by and browse our reuse shelves at your convenience.

Although the reuse/recycling pilot program will start small at first, the ultimate goal is to expand the scope of items accepted at the reuse room to provide a "one stop shop" for a broad range of specialty waste streams in one easy and convenient location. The reuse room will be hosting an inaugural open house on Wednesday, August 14th from 10:00 am- 2:00 pm. Stop by to check it out and enjoy some light refreshments!

Thank you all for your support in getting this effort started. Please let me know if you have any questions, and hope to see you at our open house!

16 Divinity Ave. Rm. 5100 | Cambridge, MA 02138