[Greener-benches] FAS Green Program Updates: November 2012

Bemis, Jamie L jamie_bemis at harvard.edu
Wed Nov 14 19:16:53 EST 2012

Dear All,

Please see below for our monthly update on exciting programs and events happening around campus! We have also included some metrics on recent success stories that we hope you will enjoy reading about. As always, please reach out if you have any questions, ideas, or feedback.

Events

  *   TOMORROW, Thursday, Nov. 15, 12-1pm: FAS Environmental Movie Screenings: Join our popular TED Talk Screenings. This week, we will watch "the best of TED" about water. Mallinckrodt Faculty Room, 102.
  *   December 7, 10.30-1PM: Freecycle:  Make space for the Holiday Season-clean out your home or office and donate unwanted items to the FAS Freecycle! And come by the event in search of cheap stocking stuffers . Email brandon_geller at harvard.edu<mailto:brandon_geller at harvard.edu> before Dec. 6th to arrange pick up, or bring donations directly to the Science Center beginning at 8:30am on Dec. 7th. Science Center Lobby.
Campaigns

  *   GreenToon is FAS' annual contest to create cartoons that raise awareness about environmental issues in humorous and unexpected ways. Every year, we tap into your creativity to inspire the entire Harvard campus to live a little more sustainably.  The top GreenToons will win fabulous prizes and be displayed around the campus all year long. The first place GreenToon will win a $300 cash prize.  So put on your thinking caps and submit your GreenToon by Friday, December 7th to Samantha Houston via email - samantha_houston at harvard.edu<mailto:samantha_houston at harvard.edu> OR University Mail: Samantha Houston, FAS OPRP, 69 Dunster Street. Team or individual entries are allowed from all FAS students--undergrad or graduate--and staff.
  *   Undergrad competitions for 2012-2013 are in full swing<http://www.green.harvard.edu/undergraduate-eco-competitions-are-full-swing>:  With two, year-long competitions-the inter-House Green Cup and New inter-Yard Green Goblet-well underway, the undergraduate community is abuzz with sustainability and competition.  The Green Cup competition, in its tenth year of being run by the Resource Efficiency Program (REP), launched with a Recycling Quiz participation contest. The participation contest continues with the Sustainability Pledge, which is already underway
Highlights from across the FAS:

  *   Green Office certification: Congrats to the FAS Division of Social Sciences for earning their first leaf and expanding access to composting for the top half of their building. Read More<http://www.green.harvard.edu/fas-division-social-science-gets-green-office-leaf-1>.
  *   Last month's Labs Freecycle Event recovered over 130 instruments and pieces of equipment.
  *   Since 2006, Harvard Athletics has reduced the amount of trash it produces during the first two months of school by over 40 tons.
  *   FAS has reduced its all building emissions by over 10% since FY2006 in spite of energy intensive new research spaces such as Northwest and LISE); emissions in FAS's base buildings decreased more than 29%!
  *   On Nov.14, Harvard won MassRecycle Award 2012 in recognition of its waste reduction efforts, including FAS's reusable mugs program for Freshmen. More than 1400 mugs are given out each year to incoming students at their September Green Fair in Annenberg!

16 Divinity Ave. Rm. 5100 | Cambridge, MA 02138